Tuesday 9 October 2007

Can't make up my mind about Venter

Craig Venter causes me problems. Do I like what he does or not? He is a controversial figure; controversy that I think mainly stems from his intention to patent the human genome sequence produced by his company Celera. In a couple of weeks, on Oct 25th, he is releasing his autobiography A Life Decoded: My Genome: My Life (suffering from the sort of dreadful title long associated with scientists autobiographies see here) of which two extracts have been published in the Guardian (extract 1, extract 2), the first about the race between the two human genome projects and the second about his time in Vietnam. Coincidentally, this is also the predicted date for his creation of synthetic life. How's that for advertising?

Working in microbial ecology I had heard of Venter and the race to produce the first human genome sequence - incidentally, neither the Celera or Human Genome Consortium versions are actually complete, the assemblies of the separate bits of sequence change relatively regularly and there are repetitive tracts that may be impossible to correctly sequence and assemble (we're currently up to version 36.2 according to the NCBI) - but my research was in an entirely different area of biology. Then came Sorcerer II and attempt to sequence the sea, or at least all the bacteria in it that pass through a 0.8 micron filter, but not a 0.1 micron one. The papers containing the detail of the expedition and some of the initial findings were published in the journal PLoS Biology. This produced a vast dataset of marine bacterial DNA sequence, massively increasing the amount of DNA from these organisms available in the DNA databases. Indeed they had to set up their own database to manage the data (and wouldn't have been very popular had they not).

This is where I start to have problems. The data is an excellent resource for people to see whether their favourite gene is present in the samples, but isn't the work bad science? There is no hypothesis being tested by sequencing in this way other than "we can sequence marine bacteria" (which reminds me of my favourite scientific paper - An Account of a Very Odd Monstrous Calf, by Robert Boyle pdf
). On the other hand if you have the money and resources to do this kind of thing, why shouldn't you? It is an expedition rather than an experiment. See? Can't make up my mind. There is a presentation from Venter (on his yacht in a typically tropical part of the trip) available here, please ignore the Roche advert and note that even famous scientists can get a bad case of the "this next slide shows".

I think my problems boil down to motivation. Why does Venter want to sequence and patent the human genome? Why was one of the genomes of his own? And more recently why did the project after that have the aim of creating synthetic life? Is it massive hubris or is that entirely unfair?

Still - his competition to be the first to sequence the human genome certainly accelerated both projects and I find the global ocean sequencing data quite handy, plus he is talking about application of a synthetic bacterium, of which his Mycoplasma laboratorium is likely to be the first (as I understand it, currently there is a synthetic genome that has yet to be stuck in a cell and only then does it become an organism), in removal of atmospheric CO2 (echoes of Lovelock's call for direct action there).

I'm still undecided, but in case you want to see more of him, below is a TED talk covering some of his efforts. It was given in 2005 and predicted and synthetic bacterium in 2007 followed by a synthetic eukaryote by 2015. One down, one to go.



Incidentally, the TED talks site is a great place to find fascinating talks - my favourite that I've listened to so far being Sir Ken Robinson - his description of academics on the dance-floor is entirely accurate (although I'd add more pogoing).